06 August 2008

Mainer: Yes, you definitely get a plug!!

Here is a message I received after writing about http://www.forgottensoldiers.org :

(Begin quote)

Mainer has left a new comment on your post "Remember Forgotten Soldiers":

OK, Chris, I have to tout/advertise an organization I belong to. It's Adopt A Platoon (adoptaplatoon.org). It's DoD approved. You can adopt an individual troop, or a unit or a platoon. You can become a penpal only if you prefer and/or have limited funds. Each adoption requires that you send a care package at least once a month and you write letters once a week- REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY RESPOND OR NOT. They also have campaigns throughout the year- Halloween, Christmas, July, all summer, etc.

So far I've adopted 10 individuals and 1 group of 14. It gives you a wonderful feeling to know that you are providing a touch of home to someone who is deployed. It's free to join but you do have to pass a screening because of the DoD seal of approval.

OK. That's my plug!

(End quote.)

I am happy to get news of Adopt a Platoon out because it is good work that is greatly appreciated, and I know that citizens want to do something to help. People ask me all the time, "What can I do to help?" Discovering so many different organizations of citizens who have taken the initiative to do something for soldiers has shown me that the 97.5% of our country that is civilian is deeply committed to supporting the military. People have done great things for perfect strangers out of the goodness of their own hearts.

Best wishes,

Chris

No comments: