13 February 2009

Air Force firefighters rescue baby camel trapped in manhole

Firefighters rescue baby camel trapped in manhole

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123135380

Hi friends!

I haven't written in a long time because work has actually picked up. I have been on a pace of 5-7 operations/week That doesn't sound like much compared to my pace of 3/day in fellowship, but for our hospital, is a lot. When I haven't been in the hospital, M. and I have been working steadily to prepare our house to go on the market. The past few years haven't exactly made this the best time to sell a house! But I will be starting a new job in PA this summer, and move we must.

I thought this story was notable because of all the things that are not said in the article, but one can conclude a lot from the fact that AF troops are leaving the base to go out and rescue a trapped camel!

It is a comfort to know that the rescue crew is not needed for troops and is available for animals. Also, the risk of injury must be low if the crew is leaving the base for the purpose of rescuing a camel. The relationship with the local community must be strong if the Iraqis are not afraid of reprisals and are comfortable calling the Americans. All these things sound like improvements.

I have heard many reports that the violence is greatly decreased in Iraq, especially the south. A friend just sent a very encouraging report that commanders on the ground believed this security was permanent and will last even after US troops are pulled out.

At Balad, the surgeons are taking care of far fewer combat wounds. The trauma wounds I have heard about recently are non-intentional burn wounds. The surgeons have tried to conduct some humanitarian outreach just to have a use for the ORs.

All my best wishes to friends that I have not seen in a long time. Take care, be mello, and have fun!

Chris

1 comment:

Jen said...

Glad to hear that everything's going well with you- good luck with the house!