05 August 2009

Finding my way

I’ve spent the first week of my new job going from orientation to orientation. Today was a day-long class on the electronic medical record. It’s like learning a new language. But it’s worth it to be able to leave the paper record behind. This way when a patient comes in with an emergency at midnight, we don’t have to wait until their chart is retrieved from storage. It’s great to be starting my first civilian job, but it’s been an adjustment on many levels. It still feels weird to walk around outside without wearing cover. Even at home, there are little reminders of my former military life. Every night at 2100 the church across the street chimes the hour then plays Taps. I feel the urge to stand at attention when I hear the first few bars.
I still haven’t figured out how to get around the new hospital. On the way back from my computer-based training, I got lost trying to find the surgery office. At least I ended up in the cafeteria. I’m eager to finish this training and get back in the OR. I just hope I can find it!

5 comments:

masey said...

Congratulations on the next chapter, Chris! Love to you and your family.

The Morrigan said...

Congratulations on the new job, Chris! I know you'll figure out your way and your routine quickly. Let me know if you and the family make up to Providence any time soon!

Your fellow Slug said...

Time to change your picture to Civilian attire Colonel! Enjoy the new digs and gig

Chris said...

Thanks, Masey! I'm so sorry I missed you all back east. Let's do it soon!

B, Thank you!! I'm getting better by the minute, and when I have to find the OR for an emergency, don't worry, being a surgeon is about turning in the goods, because you have to! We really want to visit Providence, and hopefully even before Commencement!

Thanks as always, David.

Slug: you are so right! The hospital has taken lots of official PA and PR photos of me, so I just have to get off my duff and lift one for the blog. Or maybe I'll grab a mudding pic instead...

Take care!

C

Tryllyam said...

Wow! You're a little over 6 hours from me...not that I'm stalking or anything. It's just interesting to see where bloggers you've gotten into following live in relation to where you live.

That disclaimer out of the way, good luck on your new job. I'm glad the move went well and you're all getting settled in. TX to PA has got to be a very big adjustment!