21 April 2007

An impressive artist-surgeon!

Saturday, Hmmm, perfect. I turn the beeper off for about 4 days/month. These days are phenomenal when they come! Texas is cool and breezy, and chores are all done. B is playing clarinet upstairs. The notes of the solo he is practicing float down, punctuated by the barely audible chirps of his metronome. R is battling the Emperor in Lego Star Wars and I'm just pushing back the time until I have to write another 1500 words for my Disaster Planning memo.

Found a gem in my email: a trusted surgery colleague revealed that he did a little painting, and I was blown away by his work! Here is his online gallery:
For comparison, here is what a much less talented surgeon (me!) is capable of. Here is an illustration I drew for a recent article:







It is hard sometimes to have outside interests as a surgeon, but it keeps me sane! I've found that the best activities are the ones that I discover with my boys. There is no way that I'm going to use free time to do something away from family when surgery takes me away from them so frequently.

I've followed B into fencing:








And we get the whole crew out for geocaching:


Geocaching is using a global positioning satellite receiver to find hidden caches in the woods. Notice in the picture above the small box hidden in the crack in the rocks. If this idea is totally foreign to you, you can find out more here:

http://www.geocaching.com

There are even some geocaches placed near our hospital in Iraq, so when I'm away from my family again later this year, I can find a few on days when we are blessed with few casualties.

Until that time come, I will be spending as much time with my family as I can. I guess that memo can wait a little longer!

Peace,

Chris

No comments: